Monday, March 15, 2010

Lean On Me

I would like to recognize some incredible women in my life who have shown great courage, bravery, and strength in the months since I have opened this blog. Women who, in their own words and their own ways, have opened up about their struggles with bulimia or other related eating disorders. It doesn’t matter what details are encased in each story; the struggle they face, and have faced, is enough to bring me to tears. I am broken for each one, although I feel hope and excitement for the road ahead. For all of us.


It’s no secret that eating disorders are fairly taboo in our society, which is crazy considering how many people struggle to have a healthy relationship with food. Sure, there are other things that no one wants to talk about, but I would sure like to see the veil lifted and people more open to talk about bulimia and anorexia. I have had some recent conversations with people who start out brave and are able to use the word ‘bulimic’, but as soon as it comes to the throwing up part, it is usually referred to as “that”. As in, “Yeah, I knew someone who did that”. I don’t know why this is, but I really, really hope it changes. At least in the circles I run in. Let’s just be open!


Anyways, back to these women. If I was gonna pay individual tribute to each one of them, I would change their names (for privacy sake!) to Brave, Adored, Cherished, Beautiful, Lovely, and Wonderful. It has been amazing to realize this support system exists; one where I can be honest and have someone be equally (or even more so) honest back. It’s not to discredit my family and friends who talk to me about my struggles at all, but there is something so sincere about talking to others who know the ins and outs of having an eating disorder who really, truly “get” what you are going through. I am so grateful. And for the record, I don’t just appreciate the stories about eating disorders. Many of you have shared stories about other struggles you have faced, and each one has humbled me and been locked away in my heart. I often draw on the strength of you guys; you faithful readers who have blessed my socks off.


So I say, keep the stories coming, you guys! If you’re on facebook, feel free to email. And if not, we can connect through the ‘comments’ page. This is an incredibly cheesy way to wrap up a post, but since you know me so well, I am going to go for it anyways. Cheese should have been my middle name!


Sometimes in our lives we all have pain
We all have sorrow
But if we are wise
We know that there's always tomorrow

Lean on me, when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
'Til I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on





~C~

Pages