Thursday, July 29, 2010

What. Ay. Day.

Actually, it's more than just TOday. It's more like the past 48 hours that qualify for a record-breaking pandemonium. I have experienced the highest of highs and the lowest of lows in such a short period of time that I am wondering if maybe I should be heading away for a personal retreat this weekend. Ah, if only I wasn't an entire THREE weeks behind on my homework, I probably could have ducked out for a few days. No can do, though.

Starting with yesterday: I had known for about 6 days that I was going to the Celebration of Lights to see Mexico. That wasn't even an option for me. I am all about traditions and free community events, so naturally I would be out there with bells on. I was all geared up for an evening spent on the beach watching jugglers and fire throwers and drunkards, and I had accepted the fact that I was gonna get squished and pushed around and dirty and feel all claustrophobic, and I was excited. Really excited. We stopped for a quick bite to eat at Subway before hitting the backroads to the bridge, and after we were on the other side of the Fraser River I just felt this surge of energy go through me, the kind that indicates something amazing is about to happen. I can't exactly remember when or how I was told, but one moment I thought we were going to Kits Beach and the next moment I had found out that the 4 of us were actually going on a yacht to watch the fireworks from English Bay. Not the beach. The ocean. On a 40 foot yacht. Did I mention that I was excited for the crummy beach? THIS was absolutely mind-blowing news. It was a surprise from 2 of our friends. I almost cried. We arrived at the Linnwood Marina and saw this:



There we were, one of my favourite girls and I, dangling our legs off the side of this beautiful boat, beer in hand, perma-smiles on our faces, floating past Canada Place and the Harbour Centre Tower and Stanley Park and under the Lions Gate Bridge as the sun gently set behind those mountains of ours...it was magic. Magic, I tell you.













And the actual fireworks? There are no words. I was deliriously content and happy and could have stayed right there in that moment forever and ever and ever. It was beautiful. I was freezing and I had to pee really, really badly, but I was happy.






Not to put a damper on this blissful post, but some things happened today that swung that pendulum so far in the other direction that my head was spinning. Let's start off with an early morning phone call from my supervisor...She was wondering what time my kids were going to be settled and eating lunch. Weird. I told her 12pm. She asked if she could pop in during that time to have a word with my coworker and I. Even more weird. I asked her what it was in regards to, whether or not he and I were in trouble, and she said she wanted to discuss our futures for the remainder of summer camp with us. Interesting. So with that lurking in the corners of our minds, we packed up our smiley group of kiddies and headed to the park for a morning of fun. We were there all of 30 minutes when we heard a crashing sound, followed by screaming. Needless to say, someone was hurt, and it wasn't pretty. Thankfully all is well and we have a tough group this week, but it was still enough to send that adrenaline coursing through my veins at lightening speed.

Got back to our home base, had a little lunch, got some big news...I have been asked to step up permanently into the position of Sr. Coordinator. Which I accepted gladly, of course. It was just so many emotions and so many things taking place all at once. I was overwhelmed yet unexplainably calm through it all. It just feels right. It feels like this is how it's supposed to be. You know what I'm sayin'?

This is life. This is how it goes. It's exciting and it's nerve wracking and it's adventurous and scary and dangerous and it's so, so, so wonderful.

It was quite the day...ahem, quite the 48 hours, I should say, and I wouldn't change a minute of it.

I was reminded today of a quote by Mary Oliver. It's a good one. It's got me thinking, that's for sure...


What is it that you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?



~C~

Pages