Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Post-Summer Wrap-Up

Since it is the end of a season and the beginning of a new one I thought I would change things up a bit...

New blog layout.

No more music feature.

New relationship.

Lots of new things to write about.

L.O.T.S.

But for now let's talk about post-summer wrap-up.

I wanted to write you last week and tell you how things were winding down nicely with camp but I never got a chance because things were and continue to be pretty crazy.

I remember the last day of camp last year: the staff were split into two groups that day. The group who had been to the waterslides almost every week that summer stayed behind to pack up the camp and clean the school, and the group who had been stuck at the school all summer (preschool leaders, for example!) got to go to the waterslides. We got back tired and chlorine-y and all stood around in a circle on the playground after the very last camper had been picked up. The coordinators had speeches prepared and these interesting slushie/float things that were very sweet. We laughed. We hugged. We said goodbye. And I went home and cried. A lot. It's what I do. Goodbyes and things ending are not things I deal with well. But at least it was a clean break. One minute I was a recreation leader for summer daycamps and the next I wasn't.

This summer that hasn't really been the case. There is no dividing line between senior coordinator and preschool teacher. The borders are blurry, the hours are merging, and my head is (once again) spinning.

We ended strong, I would say. Thursday night we had an amazing staff party at both AEP and Mission Springs, wrapping up with a competitive game of (contact?) volleyball in the sand. There was a lot of laughter and camaraderie. That night the assistant coordinator caught me in the parking lot and told me that she was calling a serious meeting for the following morning and she absolutely refused to tell me what it was in regards to. In hindsight I shouldn't have been as worried as I was, but I didn't see the hint of a smile or the sparkle in her eye---I was genuinely thinking there was a serious problem and was wondering if I would be able to deal with that on the last day of camp.

So I showed up in the morning and walked straight into a trap---a surprise party. I almost cried more than once. The staff were/are AMAZING. All the sweat and tears and confusion that the summer brought somehow became a distant memory in that moment and all I could think of was how blessed I was to have been given the opportunity to step-up this summer.
*thank you so much you guys*

So that brings us to this week. After a busy yet fulfilling and FUN weekend away in Quesnel with some new peeps and a special guy I came back to work Monday morning and realized that I was far from finished with camp. Which is probably why I didn't cry on Friday afternoon after I bid my team goodbye. There are a lot of loose ends to tie up, but that conflicts with the fact that I have 2 weeks worth of lessons to plan seeing as how I start back to teaching on Tuesday and my room needs to be set up and ready to go by then. Sometimes it seems to be too much, but I know that everything will be okay. It will.

Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming swimming swimming...

*thanks Dory*

And you have all been very patient with me. I know you are waiting to hear about this guy and you will. So stay tuned. He is worth waiting for!

Happy last day of August/first day of September everyone! May you find peace at Walmart as you shop for school supplies and new fall clothes!

~C~

Pages