Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Smile

I don't want to be one of those people who resorts to discussing the weather on a regular basis. The weather is a space filler; something to talk about when things are awkward or crappy or boring. And I don't want to be someone who blames bad things on the weather, either. But to be really honest, I am sad it's not very sunny. I put away the winter blanket last week. Tonight I pulled it out again. I am sad that it is supposed to pour on my birthday.

A very good friend of mine emailed me tonight about some things that are going on in her life. She was blatantly honest and candid and real. Real as real can get. I love her for that. I hope she will forgive me for saying this in a public forum, but one thing she said really stuck out to me---something about being glad that she doesn't have to wear summer clothes right now. I totally get that. It's not nice out enough to wear short shorts and tank tops. So, so, so much easier it is to hide in hoodies and zippies and long jeans. I'm desperate for a steady stream of sunshine and warmth, but I'm no more excited than she is to be out there in summer clothes. It's something we both need to work on. Confidence. Acceptance. Comfort. I don't think I am ready for that, yet. I wish I was.

Anyways, when I sat down to write tonight it was to tell you that I am working on a special birthday post. I wasn't gonna attempt to impart wisdom or anything like that right now, because it is late and I'm tired.

What I was planning on doing was posting a little video I found a few years ago. For all I know it has circulated around YouTube a million times and you have already seen it. I know some of you have, at least. I wanted to post it because I know that my friend and I are not the only ones feeling a bit gloomy about the weather and what it is or isn't doing. I wanted to post it because I really wanted to smile before I went to sleep tonight. And if you watch it you might smile, too.






Next time you hear from me I will no longer be 25. As much as I am excited about my birthday, I am a bit sad, too. 25 was fun, but as Monica Geller says, "[We] don't get older. [We] only get better". Amen to that!

Cheers, guys.

~C~

Pages