Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Brother


I have a younger brother. He kind of drives me crazy. Always has, and always will. But it's not at all bad. My brother has a very good heart, but he has had some tough struggles in his life. Details are unnecessary. But ya know, we're not that different, he and I.

My brother isn't living at home right now, and we haven't spent much time together at all in the past few years. I think we are both uncomfortable with the idea, which is absolutely ridiculous because we are family. 100% blood. He is my only full sibling. But we definitely have had our share of significant differences which left quite an impression on our relationship and bond.

On Sunday I went to see my brother. I hope he wouldn't mind me sharing this with you, but he read a letter that he had written me. It was honest, and raw, and heartbreaking, and abrasive, and uncomfortable. But he told me that unless he had the chance to read it, he might not heal. What is it with my family and letters? We seem to communicate better in the written world. Anyways, my brother was so exposed and open and vulnerable in that moment, and it was quite something. He deserves a pat on the back. He deserves a better relationship with me, his sister. With all of us, actually.

Because of our tumultuous past, I haven't always built up my brother in a positive light to my friends. A lot of the friends that I went to high school with need to know that he is totally changing. He has come a long way. I am proud of him. I am sorry if he has felt judged by me. I am happy that he is healing. I love him.

How are your brothers and sisters doing? Have you told them lately that you love them?


~C~


Pages